Old 18-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Jan Flora

Default Horse or Cattle manure???

In article , wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 22:58:13 GMT,
wrote:

Which one is better for my flowers?

Lori

Both are good. Cattle is better of the two. Horse manure needs more
composting and often used to grow mushrooms.

But some of the mushrooms it grows naturally are quite edible and
yummy. IIRC, "horse mushrooms" are agaricus sp. (The little white
button mushrooms you buy in the grocery store are also an agaricus
variety.)

Horse apples are a little higher in N. Both are good, but, as a rancher,
I *really* recommend hot composting, to kill weed seeds. Our cow
manure grows hemp nettle and chickweed, neither of which you want
in your garden.

Jan