Old 20-07-2006, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Default newbie composting question

"Gideon" wrote in message
. ..

JoeSpareBedroom wrote

It's usually recommended that you not put any non-vegetable
matter in your compost because it can attract various critters
who have an excellent sense of smell. In some towns, this can
also attract the attention of whiners who'll call the property
upkeep police to annoy you.

=========================

I have never phoned the police over a neighbor's compost pile,
but I have complained a few times when moron's dump animal
products into their compost pile and/or they dump 90% lawn
clippings and fail to ever turn the pile. Fortunately, they have
all responded favorably to friendly requests.

Not everybody is so lucky.

By "whiners", I was referring to people who believe composting's illegal in
their town. Maybe it is, but these knuckleheads (like a former neighbor of
mine) never bothers to check. She used to bitch constantly about how my
nice, neat brown plastic compost box was going to attract vermin, sharks,
dinosaurs, homosexuals, etc. You know the type. I finally told her to either
STFU, of call the police. She called the police. They told her it was legal,
invisible from the street AND from her property, and to STFU. :-)

That 2,4D vigilante routine was nasty. It potentially affected innocent
people. I would installed a bank of flood lights with motion sensors set to
max sensitivity, so any time the neighbor stepped outside at night for any
reason, they'd be completely blinded.