Old 20-07-2006, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jo Ann

Default Found a snake in the garden, does anyone know what type?

Your garden doesn't really look like frog habitat, unless there's a
water feature somewhere that I'm missing, so probably no worries about
losing frogs. As someone else pointed out, your toads are probably not
at risk, either. However, this snake looks like the right size to take
care of rodents and other pests for you.

Garter snakes are among the most mild-mannered snakes out there. As a
kid, I used to harass them at every opportunity, including catching and
"taming" them so I could freak out my sisters by walking around with
one draped off an arm, around my neck, in my lunch pail.... I managed
to get bitten only once and that was during the actual catching, when I
miscalculated how far behind the snake's head I was grabbing (far
enough to allow it to whip around and nail me). Very minor wound with
teeny-tiny teeth imprints. I didn't even tell anyone it had happened,
for fear of being forbidden to catch snakes.

Jo Ann

hitesh wrote:
I found a snake in our garden last night. I'm not really crazy about
it because I don't want him eating any of our frogs or toads. But my
thought is to let him be if he's not poisonous. How can I find out?

http://hitesh.smugmug.com/gallery/1685936/1/82782895
http://hitesh.smugmug.com/gallery/1685936/1/82782925
http://hitesh.smugmug.com/gallery/1685936/1/82782940
http://hitesh.smugmug.com/gallery/1685936/1/82782959