Old 20-07-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Apios americana

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"K" wrote in message
Mike Lyle writes

I've often wondered why so few familiar plants
adopt the Burrowing Clover tactic of sowing their own seed in this

way.

Obvious limit on how far you can disperse.
If you're going the route of dispersing within 'plant's length' of
yourself, you'll do better with runners, though you don't get the
'future-proofing' of sexual propagation.
--
Kay

In answer to mikes question , no it doesn't it has small bean like pods
above ground, underground it has a running tuberous root which forms
enlarged nodules both the roots and ground nuts are edible, it has

defied
attempts to grow it commercially due to the 2 year cycle.

Thanks, both. It was the general selective advantage of sexual
reproduction that interested me: since so few species (of those known
to me, at any rate) do this trick, it presumably isn't a highly
adaptive character. Groundnuts seem like things which evolved alongside
some digging and hoarding animal, so they would have had a good means
of dispersal. Even if opened at once within a metre or two, I imagine a
pod would often enough be abandoned on the surface while at least one
seed remained intact -- going through a bowl of shells after my
pampered family had been at them provides some evidence for that.
Perhaps somebody can point me toward a good article somewhe I'm
getting fascinated.

--
Mike.

I think possibly that the north American name "ground nut" is misleading as
they can not regrow from the underground tubers/nuts they are just the food
reserves not seeds, you need a growing point as well. while peanuts which
are also called ground nuts are seeds which can be used to reproduce new
plants.

[...]

Thanks, Charlie. I habitually call them "groundnuts" in an agricultural
context, reserving "peanuts" for the human snack. I didn't know that
was ambiguous -- though there was a clear hint in your information that
this tuberous species doesn't bury seeds. Perhaps we should adopt
"goober peas". (OT, I remember Bernard Levin calling Concorde "a flying
Groundnut Scheme".)

--
Mike.