Old 21-07-2006, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jo Ann

Default Question about euonymous shrubs

I've mentioned before that I bought a house with a lot of landscaping
already in place. This includes several euonymous shrubs, about which
I know very little; in fact, being able to identify them is about the
extent of it. A couple of them died this year (my first year here --
second summer), and one isn't looking great (significant areas of
die-off).

I've noticed that the one that isn't looking great has some sort of
"orbs" growing on it (they actually look sort of like mock oranges).
They are a little smaller than a tennis ball. Are these some sort of
fruit of the euonymous? Or some sort of gall, perhaps? If a gall,
could these be part of the health problem the shrubs are apparently
having? (Okay, I realize big galls could be a health issue -- I guess
I'm asking whether there is some known problem like "euonymous gall
disease.")

Any other tips for keeping healthy euonymous in zone 5 are also
appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Jo Ann