Old 21-07-2006, 05:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Default Request for the group...

Ray,
I'm with you as far as finding it much easier when the new message is at
the top. However, I've visited other newsgroups, usually briefly when I
needed to find something out. I've seen posters seriously flamed for top
posting. I've been a little leery of top posting since seeing how angry
it makes some people.
Here, in RGO and in the other orchid and gardening groups I read all the
time, I might do either. If I'm 3rd or 4th in line, I'll certainly
follow the trend in that thread. In other words, if a reply has already
been added to the bottom, my post will be below that one.
Oh, one other thing. I'm big on quoting the one part that I have a
comment about and snipping out all other parts. It shows what my comment
relates to and nothing else. I've seen people flamed for doing that too
and I find it hard to understand why.

Steve

Ray wrote:

...and maybe a bit anal, but...

Please configure your newsgroup client to add your response ABOVE the quoted
message.

When I have been following a thread, it's a PITA to have to scroll down
through tons of quoted info to find your response. I already know what's
been going on, and I want to know YOUR response, and not have to drill down
through what I've already read.

If I'm new to the thread, I'll be happy to dig a bit more.