Old 21-07-2006, 04:02 AM posted to austin.gardening
Libralove

Default Austin Pond Society Tour July 15-16th

Victor Martinez wrote:
Libralove wrote:
He was not going to the any of the other ponds all over town, only the
2 there near his house where he was baby carriage pushing, so why
should he have to pay the full 2-day price to look at two neighborhood
ponds was my thought?

Because it's a fundraiser and those are the rules? If they're his
neighbors, he could easily come by some other time and look at the
ponds, right?

Yeah, I always like to walk around the corner, knock on a door where I
saw there was a tour a few days ago and ask to look in their backyard
pond. Neighbors whom I have never met love that when they are cooking
dinner, feeding the baby, or whatever... Sure, you go ahead and do that
if you feel comfortable.

This is a neighborhood event and most of these people were not even
asked if signs could be put up and lots of cars could park all up in
down the street. At least 37th street agrees to allow Austin to come and
make a traffic jam on their street every Christmas for FREE -- but not
with this event.

I was told by one board member as recently as yesterday that the board
believes basically that if we let one or two people get over by
cheating or seeing a pond for FREE "there could be millions more right
behind

Obviously not millions, but how many would you think it's ok?

Maybe a half dozen (which I have never experienced and I have sat at
tables for two years) would be Ok in my view. I have only even seen a
couple of people each year ask to look at the ponds in their
neighborhoods where I sat who did not want to attend the entire tour.
Would that be a problem for you, Victor? To let a neighbor spend 2-3
minutes looking at your pond without paying $10.?

Then I will be ready to applaud the group again -- as long as they let
the neighbors into the nearby ponds for free (as long as there is no

I think that ought to be a decision of the pond owner. After all, it is
their house.

There was never any question that the pond owner could disallow anyone
he or she wished. That's like a big, Duh! Your excuses sound so familiar.

It was to be at the discretion of each volunteer ticket takers -- and
female, tall, blonde society Nazis could make any call they wished to
keep cheapskate men with babies from free "pond peeking". LOL

You really shouldn't call these people nazis. It demeans the word and
its meaning and it's too harsh an insult, don't you think?

You know something, Victor, from your concerns here. And love of the
RULES at all costs, I think you would make a perfect volunteer for this
group. Go to a meeting and sign up for a board position. They are having
trouble keeping board members.

They truly need help as some positions are never filled and the ones
that are turned over frequently because the work is for free! So if you
can work for them for free, can you allow a neighbor a free pond visit.

If NOT, please go to Zilker on the 3rd Monday of every month and join
up. You'll fit in well with this group and they need you. Maybe you can
wear a little holster and badge or something and keep those guys with
baby carriages out.

You sound like you will fit like a glove with their philosophy of
friendliness and public relations with no excuses for free pond peaks.

Cheers! LL