Old 21-07-2006, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Puppy chewing plants: Any ideas?

Tugger wrote:
What we do is have a "word" that is associated with doing something naughty
like chewing anything - we use a sharp "Ah Ah" ... and it is currently in
use a lot with two five week old Jack Russell puppies ... they get used to
it and it soon works. You just have to be consistent with the "word" and
it's use - never needed to touch them at all. Trained the pups' mother this
way when she was a pup too ...

This reminds me ... with Matilda, my 8 years old dog, we found
ourselves desperate as she, at 14 months old, kept peeing in the
landing, or worse on our shoes as we arrived home. We thought that she
had a serious problem, couldn't understand why. Until a friend dog
trainer came to our house and watch what was happening. Within an hour
she had worked out our problem. When we got Matilda (our then 3rd dog
and same breed as the others) we trained her like the others - one
thing we did was as puppies let them into the garden for the last pee
of the day. We then used to say 'have you been? Good girl!'. When we
come home from work we used to say as we opened the door "have you been
a good girl?" and then Matilda peeing either whilst we opened the door
or on our shoes as we greeted her. She took the 'been' word as a cue
for peeing.

Simple when you know )