Old 21-07-2006, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Olive farming

"David Rance" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 Sacha wrote:

Maybe the new 'fashion' for olive trees isn't just a passing fad,
after
all!
http://www.otterfarm.co.uk/index.htm

Some where a southern EU olive farmer gets a subsidy for getting rid
of his olive trees and somebody ships the trees to UK? :-)

One of the garden designers at Hampton Court had used some gorgeous old
olive trees for which he already had customers before he imported them.
Those came from Spain where a brisk trade has developed in shipping
abroad
olive trees that are 'in the way' of the big housing developments going
on
there. I own a plot of land in Crete with about 12 olive trees on it.
wonder what it would cost to dig 'em up and ship them to Devon! ;-)

But how good would they be at producing olives in South Devon? ;-)

You haven't looked at the link, have you? ;-)

Er, no. hangs head in shame

Well actually I looked at the pictures but not the text.

A farmer is planting an
olive farm in the Otter Valley because he reckons that with global
warming.... He's got almond trees, too!

Hmm, I wonder.... Perhaps I could dig up a few cider apple trees.....

Almonds, you say? What about oranges?

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

OK so that's Olives for Sacha, Oranges for David and Rice for Janet
Barraclough. I will have a go a potatoes.