Old 21-07-2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Default Japanese beetles on grape vine

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:16:04 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Mindful" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
I guess I've been lucky during 35 years of gardening - this is the first
time I've had to deal with Japanese beetles. They're decimating my grape
vine leaves. I doused them last night with disgusting, fermented
garlic/onion spray that I made last year, which chased them away. Are
they
a short-visit pest, or do they tend to move in with their furniture and
extended families once they've found a snack they like?

In my experience they become homesteaders.

Time for the propane torch....

I think you're spinning your wheels Read this following
bit of history from the early 1900's on the attempts to
quarantine the new pest:

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/jb.htm

They did some mighty nasty things to the environment and yet
the beetle is still expanding its range...

From what I have observed in my area (beetles have been here
for ~8 years) they seem to really like grape vines. At least
the wild variety.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Oh great. I wonder who likes to eat them. Probably no animal anywhere in MY
neighborhood.