Old 22-07-2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
higgledy

Default ants & beetles in corn

I looked more closely at my corn --they are loaded with aphids!

wrote:
Try garlic tea, it will take care of most beetles. If that doesn't
work right away, use garlic/pepper tea. Last resort, because it
actually kills the bugs and also kills beneficial insects is
garlic/pepper tea with orange oil.

Make sure that the beetles are actually harming the plant. A great
many beetles are beneficial and eat harmful critters.

higgledy wrote:
My sweet corn has ants and these giant beetles sucking on the flowers.
The stalks look yellowed. I suppose these parasites need to be
controlled. What can I use to get rid of these bugs?