Old 22-07-2006, 07:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Newport

Default zucchini questions

On 21 Jul 2006 07:35:53 -0700, "rile" wrote:

Once again the dreaded zucchini has stumped me. I did an all out
effort to thwart the vine borer and might have succeeded. Now, other
problems are cropping up.
I think I'll have to hand pollinate the plants. One plant has all
kinds of blossoms and has had them for several weeks but no fruit.
That plant grew from seed from last year's harvest. Is it possible
that it will only produce male flowers? When I do hand pollinate, do I
have to do it from one plant to another or can I do it within one
plant?
Another plant that did produce one zucchini has another problem. It
keeps looking very wilted. We have had 5 or 6 days of about 90 degree
temps and at one time, it looked so bad I thougt the vine borer did get
it. After watering, it seemed to come out of it but looked bad the
next day. Also, some of the stalks seem to be dying off with the
leaves turning brown. I noticed that some of the dirt around the base
had eroded it away. Would this cause the wilting problem?

I believe that Zucchini are the American name for cucumber? If so it
sounds as if you have the same problem that am am experiencing. See
Cucumber - Picture (posted above). One reply has suggested a shortage
of potassium but I am feeding. (Although I dont know if its enough)