Old 22-07-2006, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Simon

Default Replanting gravel parking area

Hello -

I have a lot of questions, so please bear with me:

Half of the front garden in the the (Somerset) house I've just bought has
been shoddily converted to a parking area by putting down a few cm of gravel
on top of a membrane of some kind. I don't park anything on it and weeds and
grass are starting to grow through it. I'm planning to add some topsoil and
re-plant it within 12 months, but in the meantime is there a herbicide I can
use to keep plants under control - one that won't persist in the soil for
more than a few months or leach into the surrounding flower beds?

Also, if I want to replace it with topsoil and grass seed, have I left it
too late for the grass to establish itself before winter?

I'd like to find some shrubs or small trees to plant there as well. I like
plants that have a utility element (eg. pyracantha - colourful when most
plants are drab, good for security and birds). Can anyone suggest some
shrubs or small trees I could plant in my front garden, that meet at least
some of these criteria:
- fairly low maintenance
- colouful, and should not look too barren during the winter
- smell strongly (and pleasantly)
- produce edible fruit or berries or something else of use, either to me or
wildlife

Thanks