Old 22-07-2006, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MadCow

Default New house - Cherry Tree fruit edible?

In message .com, Mike
in Spain writes

wrote:
I'm looking for a bit of advice - we've just moved house and in the
garden are two large cherry trees, and the fruit are red to deep red
and look just like the cherries I'd find at the supermarket. Are they
most likely edible?

I don't know much about fruit trees, and was wondering if there are any
non-edible cherry trees in the UK before I try sampling them! If so how
could I go about identifying what I've got?

Ornamental cherries will set fruit, they will be extremely sour and you
would not want to eat them. Edible ones will usually have more flesh
than stone, ornamental ones more stone than flesh.

If they really are large trees they won't be ornamental and won't be
Morello. If the fruit look like eating cherries they won't be wild P.
avium and could be eating cherries or could be a hybrid.

Try some and see - and please post back and tell us the result!

--
Sue ];(