Old 22-07-2006, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Replanting gravel parking area

MadCow writes

I'd like to find some shrubs or small trees to plant there as well. I like
plants that have a utility element (eg. pyracantha - colourful when most
plants are drab, good for security and birds). Can anyone suggest some
shrubs or small trees I could plant in my front garden, that meet at least
some of these criteria:
- fairly low maintenance
- colouful, and should not look too barren during the winter
- smell strongly (and pleasantly)
- produce edible fruit or berries or something else of use, either to me or
wildlife

How about Lonicera x purpusii (Winter Honeysuckle) - an unremarkable
looking shrub with a lovely scent in mid winter when you need a bit of
a lift. It's useful to bumble bee queens when they first emerge and
need a quick nectar boost.
I'd also find room for winter jasmine, which hasn't any scent but the
yellow flowers are cheering.

For scent in spring, Azara microphylla, an attractive evergreen.
A Philadelphus for early summer (smell before you buy, some varieties
haven't any scent).
And some culinary herbs at the edges of your lawn: Winter Savoury is
attractive as well as useful all year round.

High-bush blueberries (see thread relating to these) can be grown with
ornamental shrubs, they give autumn colour and the birds will love
getting most of your fruit. The same applies to a Morello cherry -
it's a small tree, the flowers are pretty and you won't get any fruit
unless you protect them.

Pernettya (now called Gaultheria) for very long lasting berries (not
much good for birds - but you need a non-alkaline soil and a male plant
as well as a female. Skimmia, again needing male and female (though
there is a self ferile variety) with added bonus of scented flowers in
spring. Japanese quince chaenomeles- though they don't all fruit well.

Small willow or dogwood for coloured stems - cut back each year in
spring to develop lots of new well coloured stems for next year.

When I designed the front garden, I did so with lots of leaf and berry
interest with winter in mind, but in fact it looks really good all the
year round, so all else being equal, I'd advise you to go for winter
interest, and the rest will look after itself.
--
Kay