Old 23-07-2006, 12:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
John Wheeler

Default Run-Away Vine

"Newsreader" wrote in message
I had that obnoxious stuff growing up from under some hemlock trees at my
last home. Really tough to get rid of. I would yank it out of the ground
as best I could on a weekly basis. Also yank it out out of the trees. I
never could seem to pull any roots out, even when the soil was moist &
loose.

I had reasonable success with roundup on freshly emerged vines that were
not coming up in the middle of my perrenial beds. When it did come up in
the middle of planted beds or lawn, hand pulling kept it in tow pretty
well, as long as I did it very regularly.

I have to say the bindweed is the one & only plant I don't miss, now that
I have moved & started anew with gardens at my new property. Good luck to
you in your battle.

Bindweed and morningglories are related, but in NE US morningglories are an
annual, spread by seed, whereas, field bindweed Convolvulus arvenis) spreads
by seeds and rhizomes. The rhizomes can be as deep as 6 meters, so
impossible to get all the roots out. It is actually mostly spread by
cultivation (pieces of rhizomes). Round-up is probably the only practical
remedy. Even then, you'll have to be persistent. (Source: "Weeds of the
Northeast")
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7