Old 23-07-2006, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

Default Tomato problem again

Mike S. wrote:

When we planted them, I followed the advice of a relative who said to
plant them in a mixture of potting soil and some dirt from the flower
bed. I had been using a liquid fertilizer similar to Miracle Grow but I
thought I was using it too much so I haven't used it in a month.

Not sure about the rest but this is one thing that might be
questionable. How much soil from the garden did you use?

Regular soil is too compact for a container. You should use 100% potting
soil (though you can cut in some peat). Potting soil will retain
moisture and nutrients that will pass through the compacted soil.

Something to remember for next year. Also, you can use the soil only for
the one season. After that, it's depleted of nutrients and is best
dumped on bare spots in the lawn (you can't put it into the vegetable
garden because tomatoes (and potatoes) have too many diseases that would
get passed on to anything planted in that garden next year - so those
two always get put on the lawn).

Yes...I grow potatoes in containers too...works great.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.