Old 23-07-2006, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sue[_2_] Sue[_2_] is offline

Default White flies in zucchini

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 07:55:33 -0500, (Pat
Kiewicz) wrote:

Sue writes:

I'm not missing any of the females in my morning rounds. Do sometimes
the blossoms simply not open so can't be pollinated?

It's refered to as abortion when the plant drop unopened female flowers.
This can happen when the plant lacks the resources to develop fruit, for
example when its location is too shady or the plant is suffering from a heavy
pest load.

Thanks, Pat. Maybe it's the white flies.
Sue

(This always happens on my winter squashes after they have set a 'full load'
of fruit.)