Old 23-07-2006, 07:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob Bob is offline

Default soil tester results. Increasing the fertility. How?

Mark wrote:

1.What should I do now with plants potted in containers? Is adding
standard 15-15-15 fertilizer enough for that?

There are a lot of variables to picking the right fertilizer - the
type of soil, average temperature, amount of rain, how many years you
have been fertilizing the same garden, etc. I have started using the
slow release type, adding about 1/2 cup to each hole before putting in
the plants. The slow release type prevents burning the plant and feeds
over a longer period of time.

2. When next time I prepair soil for containers. I usually mix half a
soil from the ground and half the compost I got from the dump. Should I
mix 2 parts compost to 1 part soil?, So I do not have to add fertilizer
right away after planting?

The primary purpose of adding compost is to keep the soil loose so that
air & moisture can reach the roots. If the soil is already loose,
adding more compost does not provide much benefit.

Bob