Old 23-07-2006, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob Bob is offline

Default Match-maker for cucurbits? Right!

wrote:

So, can anyone tell me off the top of their heads if the lack of bees
(and there does seem to be a dearth of them) is going to be a similar
problem for my cucumbers, pumpkins, and butternuts? Am I going to have
to open a fertility clinic for cucurbits?

All Cucurbits are insect pollinated. Does not have be honeybees, but
some type of pollinating insect. Squash bees, Bumblebees, carpenter
bees and sevral other types can do the job. The more plants that you
have in this family, the better the chances of attracting pollinators.
All the squash will pollinate each other so the zukes, yellow
crooknecks, pumpkins and butternuts will support each other.

Including butterflies. I am seeing a greatly reduced number of bees,
but an increase in butterflies, so maybe things will average out.