Old 23-07-2006, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
computar2006 computar2006 is offline

Default need plants to control weeds

K wrote:
computar2006 writes
Thanks to all who took the time to reply. I wasn't thinking of digging
anything up in the countryside. Before planting anything, I think I'll
need to wait until the ground is soft and wet so that I can dig out the
bramble roots.

You don't need to get the whole root up IME. If you root around with
your fingers, you'll find just below the surface there's a sort of node
or growing point from which all the roots and all the shoots branch off
- if you can get this up, you won't get any regrowth. Get rid of 90% in
the first year, then keep on top of any that reappear, and within 5
years you'll have cleared the lot.

I will certainly look at all the options mentioned in
this thread. I might try to bring on some butterfly bush cuttings in
my flower bed for planitng out next year. I also had the idea of
gathering ash seeds and scattering them on the area.

I wouldn't if it were my area. Ash grows quickly and eventually makes a
very large tree. It's also very good at lurking inside other plants, so
the first time you spot it is as a shoot appearing out of the top of a
bush - by that time it has so much vigour that repeatedly cutting it
back takes a long time to get rid of it, and you can't dig it out
without digging out the otehr bush.

The other problem
I have is the appearance of japanese knotweed. I've been keeping it
down for the last 4 years with pulling and cutting.

Get rid of that completely before you do any permanent planting else you
will lose the battle.

--
Kay

Thanks for the bramble tip. I tried that on one just now and it was so
easy. This will save me a ton of work.