Old 23-07-2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy I Love Lucy is offline

Default Oak Seedlings

"simy1" wrote in message
ups.com...

McGerm wrote:

Can I plant these out into the yard now here in PA if I keep them
well
watered? If not now, when?

the sooner the better. They have a tremendous taproot which is now
severely confined, so you are weakening them. Oaks, as well as
chestnuts, are best planted directly from seed. Choose their final
location now because they can not be replanted elsewhere (due to said
taproot).

Thanks for that info. I dug up a volunteer and potted it up, then
transplanted to a larger pot. I don't have room for it in my yard but
want to give it to my son or one of my kids if they have room for it.
It looks like a couple of those plants he posted. I know it came from
the tree just like it across the alley. I would have rather had a
pinoak from a little further away, but you take what you get.

I also have a volunteer tulip tree that will not mature where it has
sprung up, been whacked once and shot up a long new shoot with huge
leaves. They grow from seed if planted directly in the ground in the
fall I read somewhere on the net. I don't have room for one of those
either, but I love trees, and it's fun to watch them grow.