Old 24-07-2006, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mike in NC Mike in NC is offline

Default my george tabor rhodendrons do not bloom

Stephen Henning wrote:

(Lucy) wrote:

I moved into a home with previously planted george tabor rhodendrons,
I have been here through last fall, winter, spring, and still no
blooms yet. They are planted underneath a stand of oak trees and get
afternoon sun. Any suggestions?

Too much shade or too much fertilizer. Or possibly the previous owner
pruned the azaleas in mid summer and cut off all the flower buds. That
is highly likely since they may have done the pruning to enhance the
appearance of the property to help sell it.

The last (pruning) is my suspicion. These are rugged and
rather vigorous plants that take quite a bit of sun yet seem
to bloom well even in shade.

And as you say, agents do encourage a lot of pruning. Having
everything tidy sells the house.

I suspect they'll bloom next spring.

Mike
On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)