Old 24-07-2006, 05:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Deb Hayes Deb Hayes is offline

Default municipal compost, was Something is wrong with cucumbers??

Bob said: "What is the city dumping there?? I would be VERY leary of
using city
compost for edible products...."

In our local compost plant, you will also find sludge from the sewer
treatment plant. Yep, human waste...

With the smells coming from the plant, it would appear that their piles are
nowhere near hot enough either--at least as much as the toxics that folks
put in with their grass clippings, I also worry about the health risks of
using not-completely-cooked human waste in ANY of my gardens..

Goose bumped all over at the thought,

Deb
"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mark wrote:

Compost is from the city dump. They sell it to you at
$8.00 per cubic yard. Very good deal. If I buy from Home depot in
plastic bags, it will cost me about $200.00 per cubic yard.

What is the city dumping there?? I would be VERY leary of using city
compost for edible products since people sent a lot of toxic waste to
the dump via city pickup. Using the city compost for flower gardens is
one thing, but for vegetables is a severe health risk.

Bob