Old 24-07-2006, 01:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default is it possible to grow fruit trees organically

wrote:
hi we live in norhtern california about 1 hour south of san francisco
(zone 9b i think).
we would like to plant asian pears, apricots, parismons and avacado
trees, all dwarf types.

is it possible to care for asian pears, apricots, and grapes without
using chemicals?

I live in an entirely different part of the country, but my experience
has been that even with chemicals, it is hard to raise things like
apples on individual trees. Orchards will blast several acres with
pesticides but if you are only spraying an individual tree, pests are
lurking in surrounding vegetation. OTOH, I had no problem with peaches
and chestnuts even without spraying. I would listen to local nurseries
advice.

Years ago, I used to bicycle past an apple orchard and watched them
spraying. If you lived within a mile of them, you would not have to
spray, if you get my drift. I think a lot of organic produce is
protected by being within a pest free zone created by farmers using
pesticides.

Frank