Old 24-07-2006, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default is it possible to grow fruit trees organically

On 23 Jul 2006 22:13:52 -0700, wrote:

hi we live in norhtern california about 1 hour south of san francisco
(zone 9b i think).
we would like to plant asian pears, apricots, parismons and avacado
trees, all dwarf types.

is it possible to care for asian pears, apricots, and grapes without
using chemicals?
if so, are there any websites you can point me to for more information?

our nursery seems to think that we may have proble with asian pears and
apricots if we don't treat them with pesticides.

we are also thinking of growing dwarf fig and tagerines in 15 gallon
pots. will the pots be big enough?

thank you in advance.

Of course it's possible.The problem is, or the challenge is you have
to select varieties which are proven performers in your area.
Depending on what you grow, chill hours becomes very important. I
have a peach tree called 'Dixieland' which has a very low chill hour
of 400. That means it must be below 45 degrees for at least 400 hours
in order for the tree to set fruit.

This is not the case for all fruits, but I gave an example of why
variety selection is the most important thing. There are many ways to
raise organic fruits. Do a search for a catalog called Garden's
Alive. They give excellent photos of diseases of fruits and the
organic remedy.