Old 24-07-2006, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
simy1 simy1 is offline

Default is it possible to grow fruit trees organically

Frank wrote:

I live in an entirely different part of the country, but my experience
has been that even with chemicals, it is hard to raise things like
apples on individual trees. Orchards will blast several acres with
pesticides but if you are only spraying an individual tree, pests are
lurking in surrounding vegetation. OTOH, I had no problem with peaches
and chestnuts even without spraying. I would listen to local nurseries
advice.

It is very much dependent on climate. In the West there are plenty of
abandoned orchards that continue to produce quality apple. In the
midwest, it is as you say. The semiarid climate virtually eliminates
all major apple pests. Even in Michigan, there are a number of fruits
that one can grow without pesticides, amongst them hardy kiwis,
chestnuts, persimmons, grapes and all berries.

To the OP: persimmon is very pest resistant, and probably grapes will
present no problems. Apricots are probable, though I think they may
need some chill, but I don't know about avocado or asian pear. If you
go for it, try to buy fruit trees that will crop through the season,
starting with mulberries and cherries in June and ending with citrus in
winter.