Old 24-07-2006, 11:15 AM posted to aus.gardens
ant[_1_] ant[_1_] is offline

Default Grass gardens

I've been wanting to try some of this fancy grass garden thing for a while.
Today I bought some grass!

I'm on a mountain in the Monara/ACT region, it's very windy, very shaley
hydro-phobic soil, and usually quite dry. We have irrigation to get thigns
(trees!) to grow, but I've a preference not to do this.

The spot I'm going to experiment with, before doing a proper large grass
garden, is a little scrap strip at the base of a rock wall, and enclosed by
flat paving. I'm hoping the water from the lawn at the top of the wall will
filter down to my little grasses, and the paving will also trap moisture.

I want to do something like a minature landscape, with indigenous rocks, and
tufty grass. What I really like is Poa-type grass, snowgrass being the best,
but shopping in teh rain today, best prospect I found was some Blue Fescue
stuff. Had been idly thinking of Mondo, although it's not really my thing,
but lady at the nursery said it's more of a watering grass. So I'm back with
the dry tufty types to start with.

Anyway, can anyone see problems with this blue Fescue? And are there any
other good tough tufty grasses easily obtainable? It's hot and dry in
summer, (and windy), cold and dry and windy in winter.

I want to make something with embedded rocks, and tufts, maybe a little bit
of gravel... like a bonsai landscape.

--
ant