Old 24-07-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default OT Wasps

Cat(h) wrote:
Broadback wrote:
Love eating out this weather, but since receiving multiple wasp stings a
few years ago I have become allergic to them; this means that I am very
anxious when wasps are about, so cannot enjoy eating out as I did.
This brings me to 2 questions. First in an earlier life I used to
holiday a lot in Greece and cannot recall seeing wasps there, is it my
poor memory or are they not as common as the UK? Secondly is there any
way to keep them away from the table area? I know that jam jars with a
little jam and water act as traps, would that work to attract them away
from the table? Any help would be appreciated.

We used to have a little glass contraption at home to keep them away
from the terrace. To give you an idea of the shape, if you can picture
a wine bottle with the inny bottom bit cut off, leaving a groove in
which you put some sugary water. You suspend the (closed on top)
bottle from a tree, or some other point removed from your picnic spot,
and it attracts wasps away. I am quite sure those must still be
available. It's quite effective, but when you eat out, you also bring
other stuff onto the table which they are equally likely to be
attracted to...

They like meat more. I know it sounds horrible, but attract them away
from your table with some and you'll see the difference.