Old 24-07-2006, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] beeky@bellatlantic.net is offline

Default is it possible to grow fruit trees organically

I have been trying to do this for about 5 years in central NJ with minimal
success. I won't say it can't be done but it seems impossible from my
experience. For example.

Without some sort of fungicide most peaches and plums are lost to
fungal disease. Without pesticides most apples are extensivly scarred and
mishapen. This year I tried 'Surround at Home' a sprayable form of kaolin,
a type of clay. This stuff just coats leaves and fruit with a white,
powdery substance and does reduce many insects. However, it does not
appear to have any effect on birds and squirrels who are busy eating
ripening plums and peaches.

I am gradually moving to fruits that seem to have low pest/disease
problems. I have had excellent crops of blackberries and paw paws with no
treatment of any kind. Birds and squirrels are still a problem but they do
not seem to be as attracted to these fruits as they are to 'conventional'
fruits.

--beeky

wrote:

hi we live in norhtern california about 1 hour south of san francisco
(zone 9b i think).
we would like to plant asian pears, apricots, parismons and avacado
trees, all dwarf types.

is it possible to care for asian pears, apricots, and grapes without
using chemicals?
if so, are there any websites you can point me to for more information?

our nursery seems to think that we may have proble with asian pears and
apricots if we don't treat them with pesticides.

we are also thinking of growing dwarf fig and tagerines in 15 gallon
pots. will the pots be big enough?

thank you in advance.