Old 24-07-2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
simy1 simy1 is offline

Default Oak Seedlings

David E. Ross wrote:

Western oaks (e.g., valley white oak (Quercus lobata), coast live oak
(Q. agrifolia)) do not do well in gardens. They require a dry summer
and a wet winter (not real wet). The irrigation required for gardens
during our long, hot summers will eventually kill western oaks through
root rot. They also do not appreciate other plants in their root zones.
This can be overcome by cutting away the main tap root while the tree
is still a seedling, which is done for nursery-grown oaks. Then,
western oaks do quite well in gardens.

I don't know if any of this applies to eastern oaks.

None of it applies. But to finish the discussion, these trees can be
transplanted in "whip" form. Basically, a bed with very loose soil is
seeded with acorns, walnuts, or chestnuts (all are highland, sunny-side
trees with taproots), and then the tree is pulled at about 1-2 ft
length (with the taproot, that will be 4-5ft). It can then be replanted
given a deep enough hole. They do not have a root ball, just a long
taproot with a few feeders.