Old 24-07-2006, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer[_1_] cloud dreamer[_1_] is offline

Default What vegetables can endure bad drainage?

wrote:

Thanks to all who replied to my previous message. I have just one more
thing I need to know. How high should the raised bed be?

I use 2x8s to surround my bed, so the sides are 8 inches high. The soil
doesn't always come to the rim, so on average, my beds are five or six
inches deep (with the soil under the bed also accessible to the roots).

It's quick and easy to put one together. I get three (untreated) 2x8s,
cut one in half and nail them together in a box. I also mulch around the
beds. It makes a nice path and dissuades slugs and weeds from popping up
in between the beds.

The four foot width makes it easy to access everything growing in the
bed and allows you to easily use row covers or netting if necessary. (I
cut plastic PVC tubing to make mini greenhouses out of them with the row
covers - can keep the temp as high as 4 degrees warmer inside during the
cooler months).

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.