Old 19-03-2003, 01:32 AM

Default Spring Cleaning Good or Bad?

it is the stress. Altho... it does make sense if going to stress them somewhat best
to do it when the cooties are still hibernating. really.. if it works, do it. just
dont fall in .. LOL. Ingrid

~ jan wrote:
What do you think of this latest idea tossed around our koi club, to clean
the pond before the bacteria and bugs are active, therefore immune system
not quite as worrisome? So water temps below 47F and fish haven't been fed
so blowing off less ammonia, plus outside temps are low so holding tanks
don't get overly warm. What do you think?

At the D.pond we don't have the luxury of holding the fish long, or doing
the clean out when water temps warm to 50 and up, as it is part of a public
park. So the last 2 years we've completely drained the pond, put the fish
we're going to keep into a 20 gallon tote bucket set on the pond floor,
drain it completely, vac it out, fill, add dechlor. and leave the bucket to
float in the pond till the next day. At which time we turn them loose and
haven't suffered any fish losses.

This fall we screened the D.pond and I hope this coming Saturday to fill
the filter and turn the pump on without all that mucking out of the past.
~ jan