Old 24-07-2006, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor david taylor is offline

Default OT Wasps

"Space" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
Love eating out this weather, but since receiving multiple wasp stings a
few years ago I have become allergic to them; this means that I am very
anxious when wasps are about, so cannot enjoy eating out as I did.
This brings me to 2 questions. First in an earlier life I used to
holiday a lot in Greece and cannot recall seeing wasps there, is it my
poor memory or are they not as common as the UK? Secondly is there any
way to keep them away from the table area? I know that jam jars with a
little jam and water act as traps, would that work to attract them away
from the table? Any help would be appreciated.

I can remember "dancing" around our table in a restaurant in Corfu,
determined that the wasp following me would not get the chance to sting
me.
the waiters thought it highly amusing!

Beer traps are effective. They are useful in orchards, reducing damage to
fruit, but they are not especially effective if you're trying to have a
relaxed meal out of doors. Main problem is that a trap may catch several
dozen wasps over a few days, but the nest which may be within 100m is home
to many thousands.

You have to find the nearby nests if the problem is serious and get rid of
them.
About 30 years ago an experimental chemist-then in his late 50s told me
about his youth when he was one of a gang of lads in Warrington who used to
seek out wasps nests, dig them up and sell each to anglers for a shilling.
Anglers used the grubs for bate.
One of the gang could spot the flight direction of an individual wasp and
trace it back to the nest.
I know that many people tackle wasps' nests in daytime, I don't know what
technique the Warrington lads used.
I have dealt with about a dozen nests over the years and if you can locate
the nest precisely they can be dealt with after dark when the wasps are
inactive.
Regards
David T