Old 24-07-2006, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_1_] Bob Hobden[_1_] is offline

Default Courgettes query

"Robert"wrote :
: Your neighbour probably meant that they don't need to be pollinated
: manually. I don't know for sure whether they're self-pollinating, or
easily
: pollinated by insects etc, but I know that although I've never heard of
: gardeners pollinating them manually, everybody has a glut of courgettes
: about now, so the system works :-))

No he thought pollination was unnecessary which is not correct is it?

No it is not correct, they do need pollinating or they would wither and die
off. This often happens to the very first fruit as there are not many male
flowers open.
If you let them grow they turn into proper marrows with viable seed.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden