Old 25-07-2006, 03:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
computar2006 computar2006 is offline

Default need plants to control weeds

Bill Mitchelmore wrote:
computar2006 wrote:
K wrote:
computar2006 writes
Thanks to all who took the time to reply. I wasn't thinking of digging
anything up in the countryside. Before planting anything, I think I'll
need to wait until the ground is soft and wet so that I can dig out the
bramble roots.
You don't need to get the whole root up IME. If you root around with
your fingers, you'll find just below the surface there's a sort of node
or growing point from which all the roots and all the shoots branch off
- if you can get this up, you won't get any regrowth. Get rid of 90% in
the first year, then keep on top of any that reappear, and within 5
years you'll have cleared the lot.

I will certainly look at all the options mentioned in
this thread. I might try to bring on some butterfly bush cuttings in
my flower bed for planitng out next year. I also had the idea of
gathering ash seeds and scattering them on the area.
I wouldn't if it were my area. Ash grows quickly and eventually makes a
very large tree. It's also very good at lurking inside other plants, so
the first time you spot it is as a shoot appearing out of the top of a
bush - by that time it has so much vigour that repeatedly cutting it
back takes a long time to get rid of it, and you can't dig it out
without digging out the otehr bush.

The other problem
I have is the appearance of japanese knotweed. I've been keeping it
down for the last 4 years with pulling and cutting.
Get rid of that completely before you do any permanent planting else you
will lose the battle.
--
Kay

Thanks for the bramble tip. I tried that on one just now and it was so
easy. This will save me a ton of work.

I believe Japanese Knotweed is a notifiable weed so you may be lucky and
get the local authority to clear it out. (well okay, you would need to
be very lucky indeed). Failing that the only method I know of is to let
it grow (but make sure you remove all flowers to prevent seed
production) until around Sept or Oct which is when the plant is just
starting to die back. Spray liberally with a glyphosate based
weedkiller on the foliage. I have heard of spraying down inside broken
stems as well but did not do this myself. As the plant dies back it
will draw the weedkiller down into the root system where it can do its
stuff. Repeated in each following year and it should be gone in about
three years. I had it in my garden and this is the only method from
several dozen that I tried that worked permanently. Spraying at any
other time of year I found to be a waste of money, Glyphosate is expensive.

I have also heard of a nematode that is a natural control for Japanese
Knotweed, it supposedly eats it from the root upwards but I am afraid
that's as far as my knowledge goes.

HTH

Bill

Thanks, but no thanks. I am dead against any form of chemical
weedkiller.