Old 25-07-2006, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default is it possible to grow fruit trees organically

Hi,

It may be possible with pears, as they do not have as many pest problems as
apples and to some extent stone fruits. Much of this depends on your location
and
what pests abound there. You might make some explorative trips to nearby fruit
farms and find out what problem, if any, they are having. There are some good
organic sprays like dormant oil, but if you get a bad infestation of insects or
fungus,
you may have to call out the 'big guns' to fix the problem. There is much on
the web
about organic sprays, but I don't think these sprays represent a complete
solution.

Sherwin D.

wrote:

hi we live in norhtern california about 1 hour south of san francisco
(zone 9b i think).
we would like to plant asian pears, apricots, parismons and avacado
trees, all dwarf types.

is it possible to care for asian pears, apricots, and grapes without
using chemicals?
if so, are there any websites you can point me to for more information?

our nursery seems to think that we may have proble with asian pears and
apricots if we don't treat them with pesticides.

we are also thinking of growing dwarf fig and tagerines in 15 gallon
pots. will the pots be big enough?

thank you in advance.