Old 25-07-2006, 08:34 AM posted to aus.gardens
ant[_1_] ant[_1_] is offline

Default Grass gardens

GreenieLeBrun wrote:
ant wrote:
loosecanon wrote:
this site might help identifyng the serrated tussock
http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/nrenin...00128CA256BCF0

00AD548ECC844336D72F0634A256DEA00293F8A

Thanks. I've been to a weeds day, got a coloured sheet handout, all
the stuff, and I'm still scratching my head. Nearest thing I can
find in it is that the serrated tussock has purple bases. Haven't
found any of those yet, but there's some things near the trees that
develop long seed fronds in summer.
thing is I don't want to be ripping out good grass mistakenly
thinking it's serrated tussock. Maybe I should volunteer my place
for the next weed day.

Looking at the site though, all the big stuff down near the trees
may well be serrated tussock.Great!

Take a look at

http://www.weeds.crc.org.au/document...ed_tussock.pdf

They refer to the Tasmanian DPI's checklist for identifying ST and
that states that " "The leaf cases are more tightly packed and more
slender than other tussocks and are a whitish colour - never purplr or
blue-green"

argh. they say never purple, but hte previous site said the fluffy seed-mess
is purple! and my sheet, I'm pretty sure, says the seating for the leaves
etc at the base is purple.

The seed heads create quite a fire hazard in the outer western suburbs
of Melbourne.

I do get some of the heads rolling up and becoming tumble weed type things.
But it could be good tussock, not evil tussock. Very frustrating.

--
ant