Old 25-07-2006, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Run-Away Vine

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Unless we buy 100% certified organic food, we are eating products that
have been treated with chemicals by the hundreds of tons. I never will
spray my fruit trees though. One lady who wanted an apple from my tree
wouldn't let her kid pick any until I assured her they hadn't been
sprayed. Just about everything around us has one kind of chemical or
another in it.

Interesting last paragraph. Based on that logic, we're wide open to do
almost anything we want, simply because somebody else is doing it. This
reminds me of my mother's nagging: "Just because your friends do stupid
things, it doesn't mean YOU have to do them, too".

The whole post was interesting to me. My logic is impeccable. 1. I do
not like to use pesticides, herbicides, genetically spliced seeds, or kill
mice.. 2. I had my son spray as a last resort because I am getting old
and my yard was the scourge of the neighborhood and I didn't want to spend
the summer digging dandelions. 3. For once my son offered to help; he
has all the gear. It was either him or chemlawn. They charge. 4. My
next-door neighbor is trying to sell his house and mine makes his look
less desirable. Plus he wants too much for it. And a whole bunch else
that is not germane but has everything to do with everything in my little
corner of the world..

It is not stupid to want my yard to look better and I am not dumb as a box
of rocks. You have not gotten a letter from your city about your weeds
I'll wager. I have. Multiple times about multiple things. The last one
was about my trees. They have to have 8' clearance over the sidewalk..
The last letter I got said if I let my grass get too high again, I would
have to come down to court. That scared me. So I, naturally, had to
conform with the crowd. ****es me off.

Now you don't want me to spray. You must belong to one of those
environmental groups.

Now let's call a truce and agree to disagree. You retract what you said
about my being as dumb as a box of rocks and I won't tell you you are
being a prick. OK?

OK. You're not dumb. You're too busy to think this through completely. Call
the nearest high school and ask if they have a system to connecting students
who want short term jobs with people offering them. The principal at my
son's school started such a program and it was so successful, he had to hire
a part time secretary to handle the volume.

Environmental group??? I don't join clubs. I just read a lot, and I
understand what I'm reading.