Old 25-07-2006, 11:59 AM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Nick Byford Nick Byford is offline

Default using tiles instead of a pond liner

I'm not sure you'd want to.

If you leave a swimming pool, the algae builds up, forming a green cast to
the tiles therein. This can be scrubbed off, but the grout will usually
discolour permanently.

Ponds cannot have the chlorine additive that a swimming pool would and so
the discolouration and algae build up will probably be of concern and will
create a lot of work keeping clean.

In the winter, you may experience trouble with the walls/floor due to
freezing, although at 2'6", the shouldn't be too much of a problem.

My advice would be to use a liner. They can be bought in many colours and
are easy to change and look after. They have a greater resillience to the
changes in the weather and will last up to 25 years - maybe more. I'm not
sure that can be said for tiles (check out some bathrooms.....)

Nick Byford
www.pennix.co.uk

That's my advice
"Derek" wrote in message
I have a square double-brick-built area (5' x 4' x 2'6" deep)
in the middle of my patio that until last week surrounded a
large hazelnut tree. The tree and its surrounding soil has
been removed, and I want to use the use the space for a
raised pond. Being that the walls are flat and even, and the
floor is now cemented flat I was wondering whether it
would be a good idea to tile the interior instead of using a
pond liner. Does anyone here have any experience of
using tiles instead of a pond liner, or can advise on what
tiles and materials I should use?