Old 25-07-2006, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default New shredding as mulch?

"John" wrote in message
I'm about to do a lot of cutting down of shrubs etc. I will shred most
of it. Usually, I use the shreddings either as surfacing for the path
by the greenhouse, or I put them in the compost heap.

Question: is there any harm in just applying all shreddings straight to
the soil in the borders, as a mulch? That is, fresh from the shredder?

I've done it with no problem. I've used it on brassica beds and, especially,
to top up container grown potatoes. I don't have flower borders though and
my veg plots are liberally fertilised through the winter by our chickens :-)

Yes, I know you're not supposed to do that either but it raised the
fertility of the garden so much that we decided to make the most of it and
grow vegetables seriously rather than haphazardly. We have great crops!

Mary