Old 25-07-2006, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default need plants to control weeds

computar2006 wrote:
K wrote:

[...]
You don't need to get the whole root up IME. If you root around with
your fingers, you'll find just below the surface there's a sort of node
or growing point from which all the roots and all the shoots branch off
- if you can get this up, you won't get any regrowth. Get rid of 90% in
the first year, then keep on top of any that reappear, and within 5
years you'll have cleared the lot.

[...]

Thanks for the bramble tip. I tried that on one just now and it was so
easy. This will save me a ton of work.

Glad to see that from Kay. A couple of years ago I suggested here that
brambles didn't regrow from the roots, and I think some respected
regulars disagreed with me. In loose soil, you can even hoick the
smaller crowns out with a stout rake: whack it down just beyond the
crown, and yank, twisting a bit if necessary.

--
Mike.