Old 25-07-2006, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy I Love Lucy is offline

Default Run-Away Vine

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

OK. You're not dumb. You're too busy to think this through completely.
Call the nearest high school and ask if they have a system to
connecting students who want short term jobs with people offering
them. The principal at my son's school started such a program and it
was so successful, he had to hire a part time secretary to handle the
volume.

To dig out every single weed that has taken over practically your whole
yard? Just what did they do? You'd have to have them keep coming back.
And pay them, of course. I don't want to be too negative, but when I
needed my steps poured and was trying to find someone reasonable, I
called work force, nyet, they don't do that any more, called churches to
see if they had people who did cement work reasonably, couple tried, I
wasn't asking for charity, but no takers; they have more important
things to do anyway, didn't know any illegals to call, but heard some
Spanish speaking in the nicer block next down from mine while lawn work
was being done. That doesn't mean they were illegals. When I needed my
car fixed, I called the local community college. Didn't have time for
my car. It's all such a hassle.

I might try to fit in a call like that today just to do some fact
finding, but it is summer and I don't want to go vote, but I am going to
try to fit that in. And sand the fill on one of my projects, and it's
going to get near 90 so I won't make much progress on that, and it's
going to be a heck of a lot of work. It's old lead based paint, and I
don't want to sand it in the house which I sometimes do and vacuum it
all after.

Well I made a feeler call, looked in the yellow pages. We have probably
20 high schools in the area. I picked my alma mater. Couldn't find
number for principal's office. Called admin ctr. They transferred me
to special programs, "let me find out who I need to send you to, hold
on". Pause. Transfers me to lady, won't name her. Ring. ring, ring,
thought I'd get a recorder. She picks up the phone. I am specific,
kids to weed lawns without using chemicals. "No, nothing like that,
can't honestly answer". Suggested college kids or community service.
Referred me to Juvenile Court. I'm sorry but that is not an option
because I have dealt with court cases who have stolen from me and done
worse, like kill people. In my case it was checks, went to Wal Mart,
bought stuff, returned it for cash. It took some time to get myself out
of that mess and my credit union thought I might be in on it so I had to
submit handwriting samples, report to police, very humiliating on my end
actually. So I don't want kids in trouble up here, had enough trouble
with my own.

If the banks compared handwriting samples, which they don't I can assure
you from multiple experiences, there'd be a lot less stolen checks
cleared.

Environmental group??? I don't join clubs. I just read a lot, and I
understand what I'm reading.

I don't understand everything because some topics are actually over my
head, and I don't want to invest the time to study up on everything.
Plus I skim and/or speed read. This is not high on my list of
interests. How many women read up on getting rid of weeds in their lawn
and chemicals? Their husbands take care of it (usually by spraying or
hiring places like chemlawn to do it), they go without and just try to
keep the mowing done one way or another, some can do it themselves but
they a are a small minority, or they hire somebody to use chemicals
which is fast. I've observed properties owned by women who don't have
dh's or whose dh's aren't too dear and watch tv while their wives or
gf's cut the grass. One lady was planting a hill in early spring. She
didn't prepare it, just stuck things here and there and next time I go
by there, I'll ask her how she deals with the weeds. The lady around
the corner has pretty flowers, too large a property to handle, but the
weeds are out of control and ruining her beautiful heirloom rose bush
and the whole look of the place. There's Virginia Creeper and sumac in
that bush because she can't keep up, obviously, and she's in her 30's.
That's the way it is.

Since you made at least a semi-retraction, I'll try to play nicer.
Unless you go into insult mode again. In a case like that, I'd best
just give it a rest.