Old 25-07-2006, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Japanese beetles on grape vine

Since I hosed down the grape vines last week with disgusting year-old
fermented onion/garlic/cayenne solution, there have been no beetles, even
after 4 hours of heavy rain which should washed the stuff off. I doubt my
luck will last, but I'm just saying...ya know...maybe.

"Gideon" wrote in message
. ..

Bill R wrote:
I gave up on the traps. I caught thousands of beetles in them but I
found a bad side effect: at mid day my lawn would have hundreds of
beetles buzzing over it, with clusters of 30 or more in some kind of
orgy actaully on the lawn.

I have never seen this behaviour prior to employing the traps and it
went away when I took them down. I also observed the beetles eating my
azaleas and dwarf spruce new growth. Again, never seen this in prior
years and it stopped when the traps were taken down.

The problem now is I feel like I *have* to use a chemical on the lawn
for the first time, thanks to the traps. Yes the traps do catch
beetles, but they bring way more to area.

I agree with everything that you have said. If you really
hate a neighbor, then purchase the lure from the Japanese
Beetle traps and covertly toss it into his garden.

Seriously, the traps attract so many beetles that it outways the
much smaller number of beetles which are killed.

Gideon