Old 25-07-2006, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer[_1_] cloud dreamer[_1_] is offline

Default Tomatoes cracking???

Lucy wrote:
Hi everyone,
This year, our tomatoes all have had cracks in them, some little, some
bigger. Happens as soon as they start to ripen. We're doing something wrong,
just no clue what..
any advice/help greatly appreciated,
thanks,
lucy

Irregular watering usually causes cracking. A dry spell made up with a
soaking can cause the inside to expand and the skin can't keep up.

You can still eat the tomato but it won't keep as long. The easiest
solution to to ensure even watering. If you have a dry spell, don't
respond with a torrent of water. Instead, give them an even watering
every day. It may be hard if they're outside and subject to a heavy
rainfall...the best way to ensure this doesn't cause the cracking is
simply not to let the plants get bone dry. Mulching around them will
help retain the moisture as well.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.