Old 25-07-2006, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lucy Lucy is offline

Default Tomatoes cracking???

"George Shirley" wrote in message
.. .
Lucy wrote:
Hi everyone,
This year, our tomatoes all have had cracks in them, some little, some
bigger. Happens as soon as they start to ripen. We're doing something
wrong, just no clue what..
any advice/help greatly appreciated,
thanks,
lucy

Cracking usually is caused by heavy watering, either rain or by hand, and
then a dry spell, and then heavy watering again. Being summer doesn't help
it either. You can still eat them, they're just not pretty anymore.

George

Thank you both SO much. The problem isn't the weather, it's my ignorance,
ugh. I'd been watering them a decent amount every few days.. I heard
somewhere it's best to water a garden infrequently and deeply. It wasn't
this group, a magazine or something I think? lol
So I will water them daily now.. thanks again everyone!
Also, I should probably make this a new post, and will if I don't get
a few stalks of corn and one ear, the silk has been brown a week or so now..
how do you tell when it is time to pick it?
thanks again, both of you!
lucy