Old 25-07-2006, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default OT Wasps

"david taylor" wrote in message

We had four young children at home(Cheshire), together with fruit trees
and apart from one in the house roof, I used to knock off the adjacent
nests around the second week in August.
Regards
David T

The only one we ever destroyed in our own garden (we've had them most years)
was underground on a bank where the (five) children played and dug.
Vibration alarms wasps so I did the sad deed. Now I realise that I should
have put a barrier round the area and told the children not to run and dig
within its boundary. Mind you, the nest was fully mature when I first became
aware of it and nobody had suffered.

We never perceived a problem with nests in trees of any kind, bird boxes and
sheds - still don't.

Most of the time when people ask me to clear nests I persuade them to keep
them. When they're determined I charge a lot of money.

Mary