Old 25-07-2006, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Hairy Vetch ( Vicia Villosa ) - what inoculum to use? Sapling packaging, for transport in pressurised aircraft.

Vivek. M wrote:
A friend may be coming down from the UK and i'm going to ask her to
get me some Vetch, however i don't know what inoculum to use with it.
Any suggestions? The vetch and the inoculum should be readily
available in stores plus she may have to deal with a clueless store
assistant. She stays in Uxbridge..so any stores that she can visit.

How do you harvest seeds from Vetch? I heard that it can be a major
pest if you allow it to seed, is this true?

The various vetches do seed liberally, so you will be committed to
weeding. I'll be very surprised if she finds a suitable inoculum in any
ordinary garden store. Are you quite sure you want to grow it? They
aren't attractive in the ordinary way as garden plants. If you do want
it, why not grow a species which is already found in your area?

To harvest the seed, you just pick off the pods when they've turned
brown and look as though they're about to pop open.

I'm also thinking of asking her to get me some plum tree saplings,
raspberry, blueberry, lingoberry and various other fruit cuttings. Is
there a sane way to get the cuttings in a aircraft? [...]

The first question to ask should be "Is it legal?" If India has
regulations as strict as those of some countries about the importation
of plants, your friend could get into trouble.

--
Mike.