Old 25-07-2006, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default is it possible to grow fruit trees organically

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
I wrote:
In case you haven't checked, genetically resistant fruit has the
pesticides built in genetically like permethrin, the neurotoxin that
occurs naturally in chrysanthemum flowers. In fact the genetic
varieties splice genes from plants such as chrysanthemum to the desired
plants.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
Not all disease resistant plants are this way. The technology you
mentioned
is relatively new. There *are* plants which were simply selected because
of
resistance, less or a proactive process than the one you're describing.

But these disease resistant plants have something that the others don't,
a chemical. Call it what you want, but it is either a preventative or
curative chemical. It is part of evolution. Plants which have genes to
produce a chemical that aids survival survive and the chemical with it.

Maybe we need to clarify and agree on definitions here. Example: Ever since
I began gardening in the early 1970s, there've been tomatoes designated as
resistant to verticillium wilt. Catalogs designate these as "VF". These
varieties of tomato were created by selecting those that seemed to have
natural resistance, and producing the seed on a large-scale basis. This is
absolutely NOT the same process as the one you're describing, which involves
creating plants which contain botanical compounds to fight certain problems.
I've read some horror stories about that method, as I'm sure you have.