Old 25-07-2006, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Default Non Flowering Chrysanthemums

"benb" wrote in message
Hi,

I am looking for some help with my non flowering Chrysanthemums. Last year
we brought about 2 dozen 3" plants, from our local DIY store (homebase)
and planted then in windowsill trays. Come last summer, they grew to about
6" and gave a full head of dark red flowers, and loked great. However,
this year we re-planted them into the garden boarders, in the hope of a
similar colourful display. But so far all they've done is grow & grow, to
between 12-18" in hight, without any sign of buds, they are starting to
take over, and block out all the sun light from te other plants in the
boarders.
Does anyone have any advice on what we've done wrong?

Many thanks

Ben

As Brian said, they are late bloomers, and growers will sometimes manipulate
their light to make them look more saleable in the stores. You didn't
mention where you live, but here in upstate NY (zone 5/6, depending on
luck), they bloom in early September, and if dead flowers are removed,
they'll continue up until frost. Be patient, and give them some thick mulch
(straw, shredded bark) in the fall. They don't always survive the frost.
Here, they are more successful if planted near the house, where the
foundation warms up earlier than the rest of the yard.